We are a generation that is over concerned about getting rich, being popular and having fun. The problem with this attitude is that it will be ultimately passed down to the next generation, that is if we don’t make the decision to positively shape our destiny. My mother was an old school parent. She was not concerned about going out. She was not concerned about getting rich. She DECIDED to sacrifice and raise her two sons, William & Wayne Dawson, to the best of her ability.
Sacrifice is not a word that many people use in relationship to other people. Everyday my courtroom is filled with people who are not concerned about their destiny or the destiny of their family. Instead, the cases I see are full of selfish decisions that lead to petty theft, domestic violence, choosing to drive with out a license and the list goes on.
During my November Cycle Breaker Workshops, I will tackle the subject of decision making and how what you decide to do today will have lasting effects on your future.
Lesson 1. Every Action Has a Consequence.
As I sit on the bench hearing the charges and things that people are accused of, I am amazed that, before acting, some people don’t think beyond their current situation. They don’t consider the future consequences. For example, a young man that decides to break into a home, because he wants to have some money for his birthday, fails to think about the consequence of his actions. First and foremost when you break into a person’s home you are breaking into their personal space of security. It can be a very startling experience to have someone come into your safety zone. The resulting insecurity can create a life time of trust and safety issues. Second, when you break into the home of another, especially when there is a possibility that the person is in the home, you are very likely to receive jail time as the penalty.
At some point we have to realize that our actions will have consequences and these consequences will come in the same form as the action. That means, if you hurt someone, you will be hurt. If you break into someone’s home and steal their security, your security and liberty will be stolen. The same applies to every area of our life. Even if you are not committing crimes, your decisions in your relationships, your education, your values will determine your destiny.
Lesson 2. Decisions Can Change.
I want to make a this point very clear. If you have made bad decisions in the past. If you are in a toxic relationship. If you did not prepare for your future. All those decisions can be changed. That’s the great thing about decisions, they are yours and within your control. Instead of being discouraged by your current situation, make the decision to change it.
I learned the lesson of changing decisions early in my life and I continue to apply that lesson today. While I was a young man in high school I dreamed about being a brain surgeon. The reason I wanted to be a brain surgeon was because I learned that they made a lot of money. However, all I did was dream about it. I didn't prepare for the educational requirements of that profession. I didn’t develop the discipline necessary to succeed in that profession. Once I realized I was not able prepared to become a brain surgeon, I had to change my decision and move towards a new destiny. The point is, as every action has a consequence, you can decide to change directions and move positively toward your destiny.
Lesson 3. Negativity Cultivates Nothing
Talk to some of the people in our community and you may find that their goals and aspirations include a negative way to get rich, to get back at someone or to get over. At the end of the day, negativity cultivates nothing. I watch the “American Gangster” series on television with amazement at the men and women who decided to enter and illegal enterprise only to find themselves dead or in jail. The worst part of the story. The untold part of the story is about the lives that they leave in shambles, the mental strain on their family and the embarrassment to their children.
The moral of these lessons is that when you make decisions you are determining the your destiny and the destiny of your family. I will discuss the topic of decisions and legacy in the next article. Until then, stay positive, make good decisions and be Cycle Breakers.
East Cleveland Municipal Court’s Judge William L. Dawson is on a mission to help people to Finish First, live their best lives and be Cycle Breakers!
To receive a copy of his newsletter reach out by:
www.teamfinishfirst.com
#Cyclebreakers
#Leadership
#Striveforgreatness
#Leadership
#Striveforgreatness
No comments:
Post a Comment