Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mothers and Their Sons!!!!!

Real Talk with Judge Dawson



MOTHERS AND THEIR SONS:  Are Mothers Destroying Young Boys? 

As I write this article I am sure that it'll be the first installment of what will be a very interesting analysis of the relationship between mothers and their sons.  Obviously this topic could span a wide variety of directions but for the purposes of what I see as a Judge, and what I intend to be as a Cycle Breaker, I will address avoiding negative interaction with the legal system and how mother/son relationships play into this necessary ability.

Recently there was a young man in my court charged with several marijuana offenses and a charge for carrying a concealed weapon.  I went through my normal procedure of reading him his rights and informing him of the fact that in the East Cleveland Court, if you carry a gun illegally or commit any gun involved offense there will be jail time.  For clarity, understand that Ohio and East Cleveland is very serious about gun offenses, however some people commit these offenses and walk away with very little consequences.  My position of giving out mandatory jail time is based on my concern and exhaustion with the volume of people carrying guns and committing crimes in our communities. It's almost to the point where I have to assume that if I'm in a specific location during specific times, there might be a person carrying a concealed weapon.  This is evidence that our society, our generation is losing control and changing for the worst. We've gone all the way from neighborhoods where the front door could remained unlocked to a community full of guns. 

While listening to the facts of this case my disappointment turned to frustration when the young man's mother asked could she speak.  I normally don't let anyone but the defendant speak, but I agreed to hear the mother’s story.  After a while it became clear that her only concern was with the money that was forfeited to the police and to tell me that her son was not selling marijuana.  The mother had no concern about her son having a gun. This scenario exemplifies conduct that happens too often in the lives of young men. Mothers, some of whom are raising their boys alone, turn the other cheek and ignore the bad behavior that some of their sons are involved in.  It goes without saying that being a single mother is very hard. As I watch my wife with my two kids, I can't imagine her having to raise my children on her own. That's why I commend, support and salute all single mothers.  On the flip side, mother's who are raising their boys alone must take on the added responsibility of being  serious disciplinarians.  My mother, Annie L. Dawson, raised me and my brother Wayne as a single mother so I understand the challenges. Annie Dawson made sure that my brother and I understood that she was not going to tolerate nonsense and she disciplined us swiftly when we got out of line.  

Boys will go astray. Boys will challenge their mothers and sometimes defy the system, but that's when mothers have to be strong and demand respect! Respect to her for her position as mom, respect for the family name and respect for the legal system.  One of my mother's famous lines was that, "I brought you in this world and I'll take you out." You may have heard that one too. For the most part, especially while I was younger, I truly believed that statement. I believed that if I embarrassed her, or did something wrong she would "take me out."  Another line was, "if you are doing illegal things, the police won't have to catch you because I'll turn you in!" Imagine that. My mother would snitch on me? Absolutely right. I was convinced that she was the prosecutor, jury and judge. That's the way parents have to be today. Don't come to court or run to the police car yelling how innocent your son is. Instead be the first to discipline him and maybe my courtroom won't be full of gun toting men and women who are in trouble with the law. 

For more discussion on this subject or others, join Judge Dawson’s Cycle Breaker/Finish First program on Monday nights at 5:30pm at the East Cleveland Municipal Court.  ALSO, on April 21, 2014 at 5:30 pm, join us for a forum on “HEROIN IN THE SUBURBS” with Judge Michael Astrab of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas!  East Cleveland Municipal Court’s Judge William L. Dawson is on a mission to help people to Finish First, live their best lives and be Cycle Breakers!  


Social Media @JudgeDawson

No comments:

Post a Comment