Sunday, April 6, 2014

This Generation Has a Lack of Respect!

Real Talk with Judge Dawson



THIS GENERATION HAS A LACK OF RESPECT!
“All Rise,” is the way that the court staff notifies the public that a Judge has entered the room and that court is about to start.  After being a Judge for a while I have become used to people rising and then sitting once I acknowledge the beginning of our proceedings.  Every now and then there is a person who fails to get up.  When its noticed either my bailiffs or I make sure that the person understands the proper expectation.  On one particular day there was a young man, who after rising when I came in, decided to sit slouching down in his chair with his head hanging down.  I asked the young man to sit up. When he did, I asked was anything wrong. His response was that nothing was wrong. I continued to hear my cases when I realized that the young man, who I addressed earlier, was not in court for his own case but was attending the hearing with his girlfriend.  As he walked out the door he mumbled something under his breath.  It wasn't loud enough for me to hear yet I knew that something was said.  I asked my bailiff to make sure the young man wasn't being disrespectful to the court or city hall.  Later that morning it came to my attention that the young man said he "shouldn't have to stand up when the Judge walks in the room because the Judge is just a man like me." 

That seems to be the attitude of this current generation. There is a lack of respect for Authority, each other and themselves.

Lack of Respect For Authority

The lack of respect for authority is running rampant.  Everyone wants to be in power but not everyone has respect for power.  Take for example people who run for office.  While running to be elected they talk about change and respect for people.  Once they fail to get in office or feel that they were wronged, they are the first to disrespect those in power. There are people who refuse to call a Judge, Mayor or any other elected official by their earned title.  Here is a rule of thumb, if you are not a current close friend of the elected official, call them by the title that they worked years to earn.  You may be surprised, or maybe not, at the number of people who come to City Hall to see me, people I haven't talked to in years, and walk up asking to see Will, not Judge Dawson but Will.  I believe it's based on a lack of respect for authority, conscious or unconscious.  My closest friends call me Judge so why would a person I haven't seen since childhood think it's ok to come to my court room and call me a Will?

People, it's not about the titles, but it's about being prepared for success.  When you begin to redevelop respect for yourself, others and authority you will see just how many doors will open for you.

Lack of Respect For Others

The lack of respect for others is displayed everyday when we hear about people committing assaults, rapes and killings.  Though these acts have been committed for centuries, one would expect that, with all of our technological advancements, we would have reached a point of disturbance and intolerance with such behavior.  Instead, the number of offenses continue to grow and we continue to glorify these acts in the media.

Lack of Respect For Self

This generation’s lack of respect for themselves is displayed in the music and arts.  I had a conversation with my brother Wayne Dawson, who is a local television news anchor, and he mentioned that today's music is so dirty that you can hardly play it in public.  I had to agree with that statement.  Over time our music and artistic displays have become graphic and even down right nasty.  The things that were merely suggested years ago, things that are improper for the public ears, are now revealed boldly and unapologetically.  It is apparent that people who drive around listing to the music of today are not in the least bit bothered by the lyrics.  Many people blast music with sexual and violent lyrics in the same car where their toddler is sitting, thereby creating the next generation of people who lack and may not even know how to respect authority, others or themselves.

For more discussion on this subject or others, join Judge Dawson’s Cycle Breaker/Finish First program on Monday nights at 5:30pm at the East Cleveland Municipal Court.  ALSO, on April 21, 2014 at 5:30 pm, join us for a forum on “HEROIN IN THE SUBURBS” with Judge Michael Astrab of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas!  East Cleveland Municipal Court’s Judge William L. Dawson is on a mission to help people to Finish First, live their best lives and be Cycle Breakers!  

          Social Media @JudgeDawson



No comments:

Post a Comment