Saturday, June 1, 2013

Do People Really Get Second Chances?


Real Talk with Judge Dawson

So you’ve been in trouble.  You’ve paid your debt to society and even repented to God.  Now you’re ready to re-join the community, but everywhere you turn the doors are closed in your face.  You listen to the advise of people who tell you to try a few of the options available to you, so instead of getting discouraged you try, what I call, the non-option options:

Non Option #1 Expungement: Expungements are available for some people, but not the masses.  The expungement law has requirements that many people are unable to meet. (Future articles will focus on the pros and cons of the new expungement laws).

Non Option #2 Jobs who hire felons: There are some jobs that hire felons, but when you think of the fact that 1 in 30 American’s are under some form of correctional supervision the competition for these few jobs is getting very stiff.

Non Option #3 Back to the Streets: This is the “granddaddy of all non-option’s).  The fact is that returning to hustling will lead right back to the dead end of death or prison.

The sad fact is that, many of the doors that claim to be open are really closed. 
So with all of the “non-options” what’s left for a person seeking redemption to to?  Unfortunately there is no easy way to restore the trust and employability in today’s job market.  In fact, the one way to get back to your rightful place in society is to aggressively forge your on path. 

As for me, I’m a Cycle Breaker.  I ran my campaign for Judge on the platform of “second chances.”  I know first hand what it’s like to be stripped of everything that you thought was important, to be forced to re-connect with your basic self.  So after I was elected as Judge I’ve kept two campaign promises:
1.                 I am extremely committed to helping people realize their greatness and to become the best that they can be.  I do this through my training, disposition of cases and outreach.
2.                 I am committed to giving people second chances.  I promise not to judge a person based on their past record.  I make sure that the person’s past alone does not determine their future with the East Cleveland Court.  In keeping that promise, I hired two young men who have records.  Why would I take the political risk of hiring people with a criminal history?  First, because I don’t consider myself a politician, I am a servant of God and as Judge I am here to do God’s will. Second, I’ve made my fair share of mistakes.  Growing up in East Cleveland I experienced and dealt with the same temptations that our youth are experiencing today.  It would be hypercritical of me to become Judge and then turn my back on those who have paid their debt to society.  I was given a change at redemption and I will continue to give those opportunities. 

Story after story I hear of people with past criminal records being promised all types of jobs and opportunities.  This especially occurs with elected officials who need immediate help on a campaign.  I could not be that type of person.  I have been told, advised and counseled against hiring a person with a past record.  I choose to reject the normal tendency to stereotype and discriminate against people who have made mistakes.  Instead, I take the opportunity to get to know the person behind the record.  If the person has proven himself trustworthy and dependable, I will give them a second chance, even if that decision is not popular.

So If you have a criminal record and you are trying to get back into society, what should you do?
1.  Be an entrepreneur.  Find a niche and fill it.  In other words, start your own enterprise.  Don’t let the mistakes of your past determine your future.  In doing this, make sure you keep your positive attitude and motivation when the doors are closed in your face, believe me it’s going to happen.  The critics will come.  I’m still dealing with those who criticize my hiring decisions, but staying the course will change the community.
2.  Go back to school and load up on so many certifications and degrees that you can not be denied.
3.  Find an employer who is serious about second chances.  Be honest about what you experienced in the past, and make sure to highlight how those experiences will make you the perfect match for that particular company. 

When working either option, be sure to plan and execute on that plan.  Remember Cycle Breakers Finish First. 

No comments:

Post a Comment