Cleveland has an up and down love affair with the Akron born LeBron
James. We adored him while he was dunking on opponents at the Quicken Loans arena for years, I even bought season tickets to enjoy hisperformances. We abhorred him when he decided to leave Cleveland for South Beach, Miami.
Today, LeBron James remains the best basketball player in the world. The Miami Heat forward will be named NBA MVP for the fourth time in five seasons. James is the fifth player in NBA history to win four MVPs, joining Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (six), Michael Jordan (five), Bill Russell (five) and Wilt Chamberlain (four). At 28, James is a year younger than Abdul-Jabbar and Russell, three years younger than Chamberlain and five younger than Jordan were when they won their fourth MVPs.
So, Cleveland, what rules have LeBron James broken again? As a Judge who must interpret and apply the law, I’d rather call them “myths” instead of rules. LeBron James has defied these common “Myths” in the Black Community:
Myth #1 - Nothing good can come from the hood - LeBron did not come from the lap of luxury. Many of us did not come from the lap of luxury and have grown up in what is often considered to be “the hood.” If you are not from “the hood” you have undoubtedly identified people or circumstances that are considered “hood.” LeBron James is an example that we can rise above our physical environment. Like LeBron, Judge Dawson is an example that you can come from “the hood” and accomplish great things. There has never been a black person born and raised in East Cleveland to become the Judge. In fact, if you asked most people if it could happen, most would say no. But like LeBron and Judge Dawson, “the hood” can be good!
Myth #2 - Nothing great can come out of the Akron/Cleveland area - Let me speak specifically about Cleveland. There are really great people who have done great things in this city. I am inspired by the rich history of Cleveland and the potential I see in our people everyday. LeBron was able to shine another spot light on what we Clevelanders can do!
Myth #3 - Young black men are lazy with out any goals - LeBron James is a work-a-holic. In the summer of 2012, after he won his first NBA Championship, LeBron worked with the legendary Hakeem Olajuwon so that he could master the skill of being a great inside player. While many people sit back and rest on their success, LeBron still works hard. LeBron is an example that young people do care about their future. To be successful, we must set goals and work, work, work!
James. We adored him while he was dunking on opponents at the Quicken Loans arena for years, I even bought season tickets to enjoy hisperformances. We abhorred him when he decided to leave Cleveland for South Beach, Miami.
Today, LeBron James remains the best basketball player in the world. The Miami Heat forward will be named NBA MVP for the fourth time in five seasons. James is the fifth player in NBA history to win four MVPs, joining Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (six), Michael Jordan (five), Bill Russell (five) and Wilt Chamberlain (four). At 28, James is a year younger than Abdul-Jabbar and Russell, three years younger than Chamberlain and five younger than Jordan were when they won their fourth MVPs.
So, Cleveland, what rules have LeBron James broken again? As a Judge who must interpret and apply the law, I’d rather call them “myths” instead of rules. LeBron James has defied these common “Myths” in the Black Community:
Myth #1 - Nothing good can come from the hood - LeBron did not come from the lap of luxury. Many of us did not come from the lap of luxury and have grown up in what is often considered to be “the hood.” If you are not from “the hood” you have undoubtedly identified people or circumstances that are considered “hood.” LeBron James is an example that we can rise above our physical environment. Like LeBron, Judge Dawson is an example that you can come from “the hood” and accomplish great things. There has never been a black person born and raised in East Cleveland to become the Judge. In fact, if you asked most people if it could happen, most would say no. But like LeBron and Judge Dawson, “the hood” can be good!
Myth #2 - Nothing great can come out of the Akron/Cleveland area - Let me speak specifically about Cleveland. There are really great people who have done great things in this city. I am inspired by the rich history of Cleveland and the potential I see in our people everyday. LeBron was able to shine another spot light on what we Clevelanders can do!
Myth #3 - Young black men are lazy with out any goals - LeBron James is a work-a-holic. In the summer of 2012, after he won his first NBA Championship, LeBron worked with the legendary Hakeem Olajuwon so that he could master the skill of being a great inside player. While many people sit back and rest on their success, LeBron still works hard. LeBron is an example that young people do care about their future. To be successful, we must set goals and work, work, work!
Myth #4 - Young black people are entitled to success and should be handed opportunities -
LeBron James is surely a man blessed with extraordinary talents and skills. However, he has
never displayed the attitude of entitlement. Instead, he has constantly proved himself to the nay
sayers, the critics and the league. There is no lasting unearned success. To have a lasting impact,
to be a four time MVP in life, you have to work and earn that position. You are exactly where
your choices have taken you. Stop with the attitude of entitlement and work hard to create your
opportunities.
LeBron is a Cycle Breaker. Those who have been in my court, read this column, watched my Youtube videos or heard me speak know that I am all about being a Cycle Breaker. The Cycle Breaker movement is about being dedicated to positively changing lives for the better. LeBron James is an example of a Cycle Breaker. He was quoted as saying:
“I don’t know my ceiling, but I won’t stop trying to improve my game. I want to continue to maximize what I have...... I don’t know where the ceiling is or how it is or how close to the top of it I am, but hopefully I can continue to push through it.”
Being a Cycle Breaker:
1. Not accepting a ceiling to your success;
2. Continuos positive improvement of oneself;
3. Maximizing the skills, talents and resources that you have;
4. Pushing through any ceilings that are created by others or yourself.
You too can be a Cycle Breaker and break every rule, myth or weapon formed against you!
East Cleveland Municipal Court’s Judge William L. Dawson is on a mission to help people to Finish First, live their best lives and be Cycle Breakers!
judgewilliamdawson@gmail.com
www.Judgedawson.com http://www.youtube.com/user/JudgeDawson?feature=c4-feed
LeBron is a Cycle Breaker. Those who have been in my court, read this column, watched my Youtube videos or heard me speak know that I am all about being a Cycle Breaker. The Cycle Breaker movement is about being dedicated to positively changing lives for the better. LeBron James is an example of a Cycle Breaker. He was quoted as saying:
“I don’t know my ceiling, but I won’t stop trying to improve my game. I want to continue to maximize what I have...... I don’t know where the ceiling is or how it is or how close to the top of it I am, but hopefully I can continue to push through it.”
Being a Cycle Breaker:
1. Not accepting a ceiling to your success;
2. Continuos positive improvement of oneself;
3. Maximizing the skills, talents and resources that you have;
4. Pushing through any ceilings that are created by others or yourself.
You too can be a Cycle Breaker and break every rule, myth or weapon formed against you!
East Cleveland Municipal Court’s Judge William L. Dawson is on a mission to help people to Finish First, live their best lives and be Cycle Breakers!
judgewilliamdawson@gmail.com
www.Judgedawson.com http://www.youtube.com/user/JudgeDawson?feature=c4-feed
No comments:
Post a Comment