In my years as Judge I have come across some of the most amazing situations. Some are joyous, like when a person completes my Cycle Breaker / Finish First System comes to Court and publicly thanks me for the program and I can actually see the change in them. Some are sad, like times when the same people are in and out of my Court for the same offenses. One thing that remains constant for both of those situations is that the “Truth Shall Set You Free.” Being truthful with yourself and others will set you free from discouragement, failure and further legal problems.
There was a man in my Court charged with having an open container, crack stem and being disorderly. He was well spoken and very forthright with all that he did, taking full responsibility for his arrest. While discussing his situation he mentioned that there was a time when the Veterans Association offered to help him with his drinking problem. I inquired further so that I could determine if this case should be transferred to the special docket handled by a neighboring court or if I could offer him help for his addiction. This man looked directly at me and told me that the VA tried to help him but he walked away from it. He said, “to be honest Judge, I don’t want any help. I am an alcoholic and I want to die an alcoholic.”
I’ve witness resistance to change before. I’ve experienced people who struggle with staying in the programs aimed to help effect change, but this was a different situation. I came face to face with a person I wanted to help but simply did not want to help himself. We looked at each other for a few seconds with silence, and that time of silence felt like several minutes, until I said, “O.K. you are surely grown enough to make your own decisions.” I advised him that this type of behavior, if repeated, will cause him to spend time in jail. He told me that he understood, thanked me for understanding his position and went on his way.
What did I learn from this candid yet sad situation? I learned that “the truth will set you free.” Meaning, it is better to face your truth and deal with it so that you are free from the burden of carrying a lie. Had this man accepted my attempt to find him treatment, he would have been forced to act out a lie and it would have been difficult for him to avoid jail time when his compliance with my terms would determine his fate. Instead, the truth set him free.
Being a Cycle Breaker requires that you know when to hold them, when to fold them and when to walk away. Not everyone can be saved. Not every one can benefit from the compassion that I have for my people. There are groups of us who will continue to spiral out of control. There are groups of youth who will fail to understand the value of education based on their generational experiences. Their are young people who will make the adult choice to have a child regardless of the number of times they are advised to wait.
My mission as a Cycle Breaker, with over 13 years of experience in studying human behavior and predictable patterns of action, is to give people the tools to live an extraordinary life. However, once I pass the blessing, it’s up to the receiver to utilize the information. If you and I both act in this manner, giving people the tools, advise and resources to make better decisions, and they still act in opposition to their best self, we have spoken our truth and performed like Cycle Breakers because we know that Cycle Breakers Finish First.
East Cleveland Municipal Court’s Judge William L. Dawson is on a mission is to use every ounce of his body to help people to Finish First, live their best lives and be Cycle Breakers! To receive a copy of his newsletter reach out by:
www.teamfinishfirst.com
No comments:
Post a Comment