Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Cycle Breaker Leadership Principle #6 Stay Curious

Real Talk with Judge Dawson


Cycle Breaker Leadership Principle number six is “Stay Curious.”  I see a collision course with destruction every day in the East Cleveland Municipal Court.  From domestic violence to dropping out of school and wandering the community, people are making decisions that will lead to derailment or jail.  When I have a person in front of me who seems willing to learn or at least interested in going to my programs instead of jail, I put them through the “Cycle Breaker Probation Program.”  This program is a minimum six months of reading, writing, studying, presenting and education.  It’s  intended to provide skills for decision making and success.  However, the only way to make it through the program is to be dedicated to improvement and to have a curiosity for positive potential. 

In order to move from point a to point b.  In order to leave an abusive relationship or achieve any positive goal, you have to be curious.  I use the term curious because it implies that you are ready to learn but also, beyond just being ready, you are excited about learning.  I picked this up from watching and listening to my four year old daughter.  She always asks me “daddy, what are we doing tomorrow?”  When I tell her that she is going to school tomorrow, her face lights up and she says “I’m excited about going to school!”  That’s the enthusiasm that goes along with curiosity.  

Having curiosity is very important to high level success.  Look at these examples.  Do you think google would have been created without curiosity for the possibilities of internet search?  Do you think FaceBook would have been created without curiosity for the possibilities of social connection on the internet.  Do you think McDonalds would have created the fish filet if there was no curiosity of how to better supply every type of appetite?  I can continue with these examples supporting the point that high level success requires curiosity.  The problem is that many of the inner city communities are void of high level success except in the entertainment, sports or illegal industries.  I know, not every one thinks like this but too many do, so I must address the issue.  Don’t just settle for graduating from high school, be curious about higher education.  Don’t just settle for having children out of wedlock, be curious about the possibilities of creating a nurturing home for you and your children.  Don’t just settle for a 9 to 5 that leaves you frustrated, be curious about being involved with a project or team that has legacy building purpose.  

Remember, curiosity is beyond just wanting to learn something new.  It’s about the energy and enthusiasm that you bring to your life that is able to keep you going when things get hard.  


Cycle breaker Leadership Principle number six is “Stay Curious."


For more discussion on this subject or others, join Judge Dawson’s Cycle Breaker/Finish First program on Monday nights at 5:30pm at the East Cleveland Municipal Court.  East Cleveland Municipal Court’s Judge William L. Dawson is on a mission to help people to Finish First, live their best lives and be Cycle Breakers!  

Social Media @JudgeDawson









No comments:

Post a Comment